NEW YORK (AP) — It might be a very long time earlier than anybody joins Diana Taurasi within the 9,000-point membership.
The Phoenix Mercury star turned the primary WNBA participant to score over 9,000 points in a triumphant return from a fractured sternum damage that sidelined her for 5 weeks. The subsequent closest lively participant is former teammate Candice Dupree, who’s greater than 2,000 factors behind Taurasi.
All issues thought-about, Taurasi mentioned it was good timing.
She mentioned Sunday after scoring 25 factors that it “was good to do it in entrance of the house crowd of the primary recreation when we’ve full capability and to get it in a win. So, there was a number of positives of getting it at the moment. And, you understand, it’s good.”
Extra importantly for Taurasi and the Mercury is the hope that they’ll get on a roll earlier than the Olympic break subsequent month.
The Mercury at present sit in seventh within the AP energy ballot this week as Las Vegas moved again into the highest spot after beating Seattle in time beyond regulation on Sunday.
This week’s WNBA ballot:
1. Las Vegas (11-4): An enormous time beyond regulation win over Seattle stored the Aces within the hunt to be the West consultant within the Commissioner’s Cup championship. The Aces path the Storm by a recreation within the standings.
2. Seattle (12-4): A troublesome 0-2 week noticed the Storm’s lead within the standings shrink. Breanna Stewart continued her MVP-caliber play, averaging 26 factors, 9.5 rebounds and 4 blocks within the losses.
3. Connecticut (10-5): Brionna Jones held down the paint for the Solar with Jonquel Jones enjoying abroad. The Solar middle averaged 23.5 factors and 7 rebounds to assist Connecticut go 2-0 this previous week. Jonquel Jones will return for a key matchup in opposition to Washington on Tuesday after enjoying within the EuroBasket match.
4. Chicago (9-8): The crew’s seven-game profitable streak was snapped in Connecticut, however nobody has been enjoying higher than Chicago over the previous couple of weeks.
5. Dallas (8-8): The Wings end up the pre-Olympic break with 4 of 5 video games at dwelling. Arike Ogunbowale broke out of a mini-scoring droop with a season-high 30 factors in Dallas’ final recreation — a win over Washington.
6. Minnesota (7-7): The Lynx have gone 7-3 since including Layshia Clarendon to the roster beneath a hardship exemption. Clarendon is averaging 8.8 factors, 5.4 assists and a pair of.8 rebounds in these 10 video games which have included 9 begins.
7. Phoenix (7-7): The Mercury host Minnesota for a pair of video games this week attempting to create separation within the standings with seven groups inside just a few video games of one another.
8. New York (8-8): Betnijah Laney continues to have a stellar season for the Liberty. The free agent signee is averaging 19.9 factors whereas taking pictures 51.1% from the sphere. She’s additionally averaging 5.2 assists.
9. Washington (7-8): The Mystics are lastly beginning to get wholesome. Natasha Cloud (ankle) and Myisha Hines-Allen (knee) may very well be again as early as Tuesday evening. Elena Delle Donne (again) additionally may return sooner or later.
10. Los Angeles (6-8): The Sparks are in a key stretch in the event that they need to have any hope of staying within the playoff hunt as they play seven of eight at dwelling — spanning the Olympic break earlier than ending the season with eight of 10 on the highway.
11. Atlanta (5-9): The Dream host New York on Tuesday evening earlier than heading out for a three-game coast-to-coast highway journey that begins in Seattle and ends in Connecticut.
12. Indiana (1-15): The Fever surprisingly launched Lauren Cox, who was the No. 3 choose within the 2020 draft. The previous Baylor star contracted COVID-19 final 12 months however recovered earlier than going into the WNBA bubble. She as been wholesome this season, however was averaging simply 1.4 factors and a pair of rebounds whereas enjoying in 11 video games.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Sylvia Fowles of Minnesota dominated play las week, averaging 28 factors, 16.5 rebounds and 4.5 blocks to assist Lynx win each their video games. Tina Charles of Washington additionally obtained a vote.
The WNBA introduced Monday that 99% of the league has been vaccinated and all 12 groups have met the edge for being totally vaccinated. There have been no optimistic COVID-19 exams for the reason that begin of the common season.
GAME OF THE WEEK:
Aces at Sparks, Wednesday and Friday. Chelsea Grey returns to Los Angeles for the primary time after leaving the Sparks within the offseason as a free agent for Las Vegas. She helped the crew win a championship in 2016.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION