A take a look at what’s taking place across the New York Jets:
1. Maye day approaching: The Jets have 18 days to signal security Marcus Maye to a contract extension or else he’ll play the season on the franchise tag ($10.6 million), organising a possible departure in 2022. For a few causes, it is a litmus-test negotiation for the group, which has hassle retaining its homegrown expertise (see: Jamal Adams, Sam Darnold and Leonard Williams.)
Adams wished out, partially, as a result of he did not just like the tradition. The Jets, underneath new coach Robert Saleh, have made progress in that space. They added some high quality gamers in free company, fueling the optimistic momentum. It might dampen the temper if they cannot strike an settlement with Maye, a captain and workforce MVP in 2020.
It is a massive one for normal supervisor Joe Douglas, who has but to finish a splashy contract extension. (Sorry, I am not counting tight finish Ryan Griffin and guard Alex Lewis.) Maye could be a superb place to begin. The previous second-round decide is the longest-tenured participant on the workforce and is well-respected within the locker room.
What’s a good worth? There are two views.
The Jets in all probability see it this fashion: Primarily based on expertise and manufacturing, Maye’s contract ought to be in step with that of Cleveland Browns security John Johnson, who hit free company in March and signed for 3 years, $33.75 million — $11.25 million per 12 months. The contract features a $20 million assure.
Johnson and Maye, each drafted in 2017, have comparable profession numbers.
Maye: 54 video games, 6 interceptions, 22 passes defensed, 4 pressured fumbles and a couple of.5 sacks.
Johnson: 54 video games, 8 interceptions, 32 passes defensed, 1 pressured fumble and no sacks.
Likelihood is, Maye is on the lookout for one thing within the neighborhood of $14 million per 12 months, an APY that may put him in a tie for fifth amongst safeties. He can argue he is entitled to that a lot as a result of, by definition, a franchise tag is the typical of the highest 5 salaries on the place. The bar was raised just lately by the Denver Broncos‘ Justin Simmons ($15.25 million APY), and it’ll go larger when Adams lands his extension from the Seattle Seahawks.
If there’s one factor we have discovered about Douglas in two years, it is that he is a hard-line negotiator. It is powerful to maintain gamers who do not need to be there, and it is powerful to maintain gamers who overprice themselves. That may change when/in the event that they turn out to be a fascinating place. Possibly the worm will flip with Maye.
2. Issues-to-do checklist: As they start summer time break earlier than coaching camp opens July 27, the Jets made a good move Friday to signal proper sort out Morgan Moses, who figures to begin instantly. This supplies excellent depth and suppleness on the sort out place, permitting them to place George Fant in a backup/swing function.
Different potential strikes:
Three rookie contracts nonetheless have not been finalized — quarterback Zach Wilson, guard Alijah Vera-Tucker and huge receiver Elijah Moore. When Wilson finally indicators, will probably be 4 years, $35 million, absolutely assured.
3. Showtime for scouts: The Jets’ in-house docuseries, “Flight 2021,” dropped final week. For my part, one of the best half is listening to the realm scouts focus on the highest picks of their pre-draft Zoom conferences. The scouts aren’t allowed to talk with the media, so I discovered it fascinating to get their behind-the-scenes perspective.
A number of highlights:
Scout Andrew Dollak, giving his scouting report on Wilson, is requested by assistant GM Rex Hogan if Wilson reminds him of anybody. His reply: “It is simple to say the [Patrick] Mahomes stuff due to the free arm, however he is additionally an excellent athlete and he is in a position to create together with his ft. … There’s not loads he cannot do on a soccer area. … Nothing is off the desk. He could make any throw on the sphere, no matter presents itself — tight home windows on all three ranges. He is an thrilling participant to look at, for positive.”
Director of school scouting Jon Carr on Wilson: “Out of all of the quarterbacks I did this 12 months, this man is without doubt one of the quickest decision-makers out of all these guys. He is correct with the ball. He would not have elite arm energy, however he has good arm energy. He anticipates very nicely and he is a risk-taker. However on the similar time, he takes care of the ball.”
Scout Alonzo Dotson on Moore: “Probably the greatest professional days I’ve ever been to in my years within the enterprise. … The burst and acceleration — I received an opportunity to see the child towards South Carolina, and it’s actual. You may really feel his velocity. You may really feel the depth when he vegetation his foot and drives upfield.”
Director of participant personnel Chad Alexander on operating again Michael Carter: “That is my favourite participant within the draft.”
4. Quantity crunching: One other takeaway from “Flight 2021” is the function of analytics in draft-room discussions. Brian Shields, the director of soccer analytics, has a seat on the desk, so to talk, and offers his enter on every prospect. It is value noting that, from an analytics standpoint, he rated Moore because the Sixteenth-best prospect in the whole draft. (He was chosen thirty fourth general.) The docuseries would not reveal the rankings for the opposite draft picks.
Douglas is thought to be an old-school soccer man, however he isn’t averse to incorporating new strategies of analysis into his course of.
5. Corridor of a break? Possibly there’s some hope for Joe Klecko in spite of everything.
There was a current under-the-radar improvement that would assist his candidacy for the Professional Soccer Corridor of Fame. Longtime Corridor of Fame voter Gary Myers, identified to be a robust Klecko advocate, was named to the nine-member senior committee. Klecko, the previous Jets nice who surprisingly has gained no traction in recent times as a senior candidate, will now have a supportive voice within the room — or Zoom name.
The checklist of candidates shall be pared to 10. On Aug. 24, the senior committee will vote on these 10. Just one senior will make it to Canton in every of the following three years. Due to a backlog of candidates, Klecko stays an extended shot, however at the least now he may have somebody keen to face on the desk for him.
6. Again to high school: It was good to see Chris Herndon attending “Tight Finish College” this weekend in Nashville, Tennessee, the place most of the league’s prime tight ends have gathered for a summit that was organized by the Kansas City Chiefs‘ Travis Kelce, the San Francisco 49ers‘ George Kittle and former star Greg Olsen. Herndon’s presence reveals he is keen to enhance after a season that was an absolute bust till the ultimate three video games.
It is a contract 12 months for Herndon, whose star has light after a promising rookie 12 months in 2018. He missed time within the offseason due to accidents, however “he is a gifted dude,” offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur stated. That is Herndon’s third offensive system in 4 years, and he must rise up to hurry shortly in coaching camp as a result of he will not get any free passes from the brand new workers.
7. The final phrase: “It was enjoyable. Numerous beer.” — operating again La’Mical Perine on attending a New York Islanders playoff recreation with offensive lineman/beer chugger Dan Feeney (by way of SiriusXM NFL Radio).