Stars could gain some space for the salary cap
Saad Yousef from The Athletic: The Dallas Stars saved about $ 1 million in salary caps when they decided not to protect / renew defense attorney Jamie Oleksiak and sign Ryan Suter.
The signing of goalkeeper Braden Holtby came as a bit of a surprise as they already have three goalkeepers. However, everyone has their problems – Ben Bishop (health), Anton Khudobin (performance) and Jake Oettinger (development). Bishop seems to have a ticket for the LTIR.
The stars didn’t get much constancy through their goals and finished 24th in the league.
They’re around $ 2 million above the salary cap, but when Bishops put $ 4.9 million on the LTIR, they gain about $ 2.9 in storage and have the option to add another person. When to add depends on whether Bishop is LTIR before or after the season starts.
Notes on the Top 10 Remaining Unrestricted NHL Free Agents
Sportsnet’s Luke Fox: Rumors and Notes of Some of the Remaining Top Free Agents.
1 Tuukka Rask – Considered retiring before and after hip replacement surgery in July but will be absent until January or February. He said back in June that he will only play for the Boston Bruins.
2. Kyle Palmieri – Nothing was announced, but he reportedly signed with the New York Islanders.
3. Tomas Tatar – The Colorado Avalanche and Seattle Kraken might have some interest.
4. Casey Cizikas – May have a handshake deal with the Islanders. Piqued the interest of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Seattle Kraken, Buffalo Sabers, and San Jose Sharks.
5. Jason Demers – The 33-year-old logged over 17 minutes per game last year.
6. Marcus Johansson – Could be a good short term signing for someone looking for a Versial striker.
7. Nikita Gusev – Can play both wings and has sparked interest. KHL is an option if he doesn’t find anything to his liking.
8. Travis Zajac – He is believed to have a deal with the Islanders.
9. Sami Vatanen – The 30-year-old right-handed defender could make a good third pair defender for someone.
10. Zdeno Chara – He’s in no hurry to make the decision to play again next season or to retire.