Gor Mahia 1-0 Kakamega Homeboyz: Ok’Ogalo bounce again to profitable methods

Spread the love

The outgoing champions returned to winning ways after beating the visiting team in a hard-fought match at Thika Stadium

Gor Mahia ended his seven-game run without a win after beating Kakamega Homeboyz 1-0 in an FKF Premier League match at Thika Stadium on Wednesday.

K’Ogalo came into play to end a bad run result, thanks to goalkeeper Samuel Njau, who saved two penalties, and defender Sydney Ochieng, who scored the only goal for maximum points in the 25th minute.

It was Homeboyz who got the first chance to take the lead after a penalty kick in the fifth minute after goalkeeper Njau made a mistake when he brought down an advancing Moses Mudavadi in the penalty area.

Striker Allan Wanga was unable to take the penalty as his weak shot was saved by Njau, who was also booked for the foul on Mudavadi.

The foul also forced Homeboyz under head coach Nicholas Muyoti to make an early move, as Mudavadi could not continue and he was replaced by Christopher Masinza.

Gor Mahia then had his first chance of the game in the 15th minute when Homeboyz goalkeeper Geoffrey Oputi gave the ball away K’Ogalos Striker Tito Okello, but the net was delivered to him and the Ugandan shot past the goal to kick.

In the 20th minute Homeboyz were forced to make another substitution, Masinza, who had been substituted on for Mudavadi, suffered an injury and was eliminated from Derrick Onyango.

Gor Mahia took the lead five minutes later, with defender Sydney Ochieng scoring a free kick from outside the 18-meter space that whizzed past Homeboyz defenders climbing a wall and pounding goalkeeper Oputi into the net.

Homeboyz had another chance to equalize in the 32nd minute, again with a penalty, but keeper Njau parried another fantastic save and rushed Francis Omondi in the right direction.

The missed penalty allowed Gor Mahia to go into half-time with a 1-0 lead and five minutes after resumption they continued their search for a second goal but Okello missed an open sitter after being pushed through by Abdul Karim the ball was wide.

Homeboyz earned another chance in the 50th minute when Onyango prepared Stephen Opoku, but couldn’t beat Njau, who quickly got out of line to save the day.

Five minutes later, Gor Clifton brought in Miheso for Jon Macharia and in the 65th minute Shami Mwinyi tried to beat Njau with a weak foot, but the keeper was vigilant again to collect the ball without a hitch.

Although Homeboyz was strong in the closing stages, Gor Mahia held on to complete a one-two against a team they beat 2-1 in the first round.

Gor Mahia: Samuel Njau (TW), Fred Nkata, Frank Odhiambo, Harun Shakava, Joachim Ochieng, Ernest Wendo, Sydney Wahongo, Samuel Onyango, Abdul Karim, Tito Okello and John Macharia.

Subscriptions: Gad Mathews (GK), Philemon Otieno, Andrew Juma, John Ochieng, Victor Ochieng, Nicholas Omondi, Jules Ulimwengu and Clifton Miheso.

Kakamega Homeboyz: Geoffrey Oputi (GK), Collins Odhiambo, Thomas Wainaina, Brian Eshihanda, Francis Omondi, Stephen Mukongolo, Stephen Etyang, Stephen Opoku, Moses Mudavadi, Allan Wanga and Shami Mwinyi.

Subscriptions: David Otieno, George Odiwuor, Benard Mutonyi, Bonaventure Atse, Estone Esiye, Christopher Mbehelo and Derric Onyango.