UFC President Dana White keeps his fingers crossed that Oscar De La Hoya suffers a “vicious” knockout loss from former UFC Champion Vitor Belfort.
48-year-old De La Hoya, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions and world champion in six divisions, will face 44-year-old Belfort in a sanctioned boxing match on September 11 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
Your fight will be the headline of a pay-per-view event staged by the Triller app.
White and De La Hoya had been feuding since 2017 – when De La Hoya openly destroyed the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor pay-per-view program – which White’s company co-promoted with Mayweather Promotions and Showtime.
“I pray Vitor will take this crackhead off – viciously. [I hope he] knocks him down viciously, “White said on the Pat McAfee Show.
The fight will be De La Hoya’s first since being stopped by Manny Pacquiao in December 2008.
Belfort is naturally the taller man, but he has only had one boxing match in his career – and that match took place in 2006.
While White despises De La Hoya, he cannot overlook his lead in experience and skill.
“As much as I can’t stand that bastard, De La Hoya is real,” White said. “Back when De La Hoya and I were still cool, I was actually in his camp. His jab alone could blow people away. De La Hoya in its heyday was the real deal. This is a real fight between two real guys. I think Vitor obviously has the power to knock him out, but De La Hoya is no joke either.
“Hopefully all that coke sniffing and tequila drinking and whatever that other crap was up to caught up with him and Vitor put one right on his big mouth and knocked him unconscious.”